The Hôtel de la Marine is one of two large palaces designed to adorn the royal square commissioned by Louis XV in the 18th century. Architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel built the building.
The arrival of the Navy and the transformation of the monument. During the French Revolution Louis XVI and his ministers were forced to leave Versailles for Paris in 1789. The Naval Ministry became partially established in the Garde-meuble. In 1806, it occupied the whole building which became the "Hôtel de la Marine". The Navy remained there until 2015.